Re: Chloramine

Dave Wittaker writes:

> >Chloramine breaks itself down.  Again, at concentrations that it is in
your
>  >tap water, you can do a 20% change, and it will not hurt the fish (or the
>  >filter bacteria).  It will breakdown and dissipate before 24 hours has
gone.

>  >Ask someone who owns a swimming pool how much chlorine he/she goes
through,

>  >just because it dissipates out.
>  >
>  >Bob Dixon
>
>  Am I correct in assuming that you meant chlorine and not chloramine?

No.  Chloramine is made of chlorine and ammonia.  A certain percentage of it
naturally breaks down into the two main components, until it reached what I
think the chemically enlightened call "equilibrium".  Then the chlorine
dissipates, and the ammonia is removed by your plants and/or biological
filter.  This takes the "equilibrium" away, so more chloramine breaks down.
Then more dissipates/gets removed, then more breakes down.  It isn't in a
staggered process like I'm compelled here to describe it.  It is a continuous
reaction, or perhaps chain reaction.  I've lived where there have been
chlorine, and where there has been chloramine.  It has been close to 20 years
since I have used any kind of de-chlorinating agent.  I let new tanks stand
overnight, and anytime I make a water change over 30%, I have fresh "aged"
water standing by.

If the chlorine/chloramine threat were as great as the makers of Novaqua want
you to think, the makers of the Python No-Spill Clean and Fill would have
gone under a ling time ago.  This handy product lets you put water into your
tank from a kitchen sink or a garden spigot.  The chlorine/ goes in right
with the water, and by next day, it's all gone.  Chloramine takes a little
longer, but it still removes itself.

Bob Dixon