Re: Glossostigma meltdown

Mark faulkner wrote:

>I recieved a shipment of Glossostigma (looked healthy upon arrival)
>from AZ Gardens three days ago and two days after planting all of the
>plants turned necrotic.  Some of the Gloss. stems were touching some
>Anubias nana leaves, turning them brown also.  My tank parameters:  55g
>cube (2x2x2), 250w MH 5500K, 79deg F, pH-6.7, KH-8deg, GH-6deg.  I'm
>thinking it might be due to shipment (it's probably pretty hot in AZ
>this time of year).  Has anyone else experienced this?  Any insight
>would be appreciated.

Mark,

As I work at an aquarium plant nursery, I saw quite often meltdown problems.
The following MIGHT be an explanation to your problem
.
Too much bad professional (Asian or other producers, wholesalers) store their plant
in
“fridge”  too long. They work with aquarium plant like they do with cut flowers! I
hate
it. After 6 days in “fridge”, some plants (ex: Anubias spp.) still look freshslow!
But, it is
almost impossible to acclimate these under water condition after a traumatism like
that.

Another possible explanation: sometimes, an emersed plant cultivated in too dry
conditions (low hygrometry) does not survive to a brutal immersion. It needs
slower acclimatisation. I cannot give you a scientific explanation but it is
something I often experienced.
Consequently, if one day you receive plants emersed which does not look very nice,
try to keep it emersed first for a while in a very humid place (ex: little plastic
"greenhouse"
for seedling).

Good Luck

Stéphane