Tubes and Turrets was: re: bent glass

Hoa Nguyen <nguyenh at nosc_mil> wrote:
Subject: Re: Bent Glass

>From: "Shannon Wheeler" <swheeler at tnc_ab.ca>
>Subject: Re: Bent Glass
>
>http://www.nwcatalog.com/flyingfish/lead.htm

<<<Amazing tanks!  I am puzzled though.  How can the water and fish stay in
the tubes above the tank (in the Escher, King Arthur and Sentinel
tanks)?  Is the tank top sealed tight?  If not, the only way I can see this
happening is that the tubes are in series with a pump.  But how would the
fish get in there then?  Has anyone seen one of these tanks?>>>

As long as the bottom (open ends) of the tubes are below the waters surface,
then the water will stay in the tubes.
 For a quick demo of this, take a clear glass, submerge it in a fish tank,
turn it upside down(so the opening points down) and lift it out of the
water(making sure to keep the opening under the water).  Voila! You now have
a turret for your fish!
The problem that I would see is how do you get pockets of air out of them?
Eventually the fish, the water, and who knows what else is going put off
little bubbles in the tubes and turrets that will accumulate to an
unreasonable amount.  I guess you could suck it out with air hose?

Dave Engle
Escondido (San Diego) California
Aren't they the coolest tanks, though?