RE: Large tanks & sumps

> krandall at world_std.com wrote:
	> I know a lot of people like sump style filters for big tanks,
but I'm too
> > scared of 135G of water on the floor (or even 30G for that matter!)
> Since
> > I'm not overly concerned with filtration anyway, I'm going to stick
> with a
> > couple of canister filters.  Then all the water is contained.  The
> worst
> > problem you can have is letting them get clogged up!<g>

	I've re-thought my opinion on sumps.  I understand
	that most sumps are "under" the tank in the
	stand (tank is drilled, or use an overflow/siphon).
	I have this on my 180g.

	Advantages:  1. Sump is out of view (in the stand),
	             2. Smaller tank footprint

	However, I don't think I'll ever do this with another
	tank.  I now think that sumps ought to be on
	level with the tank, and should simply catch
	an overflow (with a pump recirculating back to
	the main tank).

	Advantages:  1. No siphon to break
	             2. You can see your sump (I have lots
	                of fry usually, sometimes plants)
	             3. All pump power goes to water flow,
	                *not* overcomming gravity

	I think the three "sump on level with tank"
	advantages are very real.

	Pilots have a saying: "Two kinds of pilots...
	those that have landed without the landing gear
	down, and those that will land without the landing
	gear down." (It's a matter of "when".)

	It's the same with aquatic gardening...  I no
	longer like drilled tanks even though many of
	mine are, and it's imminent that you will get
	a broken siphon with water everywhere (and
	yes, I'm an idiot, I've lost 6" from my 180g
	more than once.  Well, actually, more than
	twice.  Well, actually... ;-).

	I really like seeing my sumps, because in addition
	to being settling chambers, I just treat them
	like another tank:  hospital, penal colony,
	boarding school, species breeder, space for plants
	that I just don't have room for, etc.  ;-)

	The last point I really like:  While I don't
	really do CO2 at present and understand increased
	loss with surface agitation and other water
	movement, I continue to find numerous benefits
	with a good current in the tank.  If I can get
	the same flow rate by getting the sump off the
	floor with an operationally cheaper pump, I should
	do it.

On other note, I agree with Tom that open top tanks
are really nice.  Like you say, though, I have very
high evaporation rates (I'll lose 1-2" a week, double
that with surface agitation).

--charley
charleyb at cytomation_com