RE:UFG & heating cables

>     Here's one problem with that idea:  Water doesn't travel through the
>substrate
>evenly across the entire bottom when using a ugf.  The German researchers
>Horst
>and Kipper proved this by studying water movement created by ugf's.  (using
>dye)
>     Another problem with the above idea:  It is difficult to achieve a slow,
>reliable flow
>through the substrate with a ugf or reverse - flow ugf.

I disagree with RFUG's not being a decent way to set up a substrate. I have
used them very susceessfully for many years and I still have 3 tanks with
them. I like and have heating cables also and agree with Mr. Booth on using
them. Every tank I've done with them(cables) always has done very well. The
heating pad idea is something I'm trying now ..........being simple and
cheap.

Did Horst and Kipper test RFUG's(tube style not plates) or Tunze's
Bio-Irragators? There are areas of Oxidation and Reduction using these
methods according to Tunze. Check out Aquarium Plants:their
identification,cultivation and ecology; Dr Karl Rataj and Thomas J. Horeman
on pg 15 if you are interested in using a good RFUG for plants. Built out of
PVC or CPVC you can build any size or shape. I space the hole @ about 2
inches apart 1/16" diameter. Flow rates @ 50-80 gal/sq/ft. The water is
pre-filtered before going underneath.
I'm lazy so I don't like building stuff all the time, so I perfer the
Flourite only. Cables are great but el costo mucho! Unless you want to build
them......................
So I'm left with a heat pad.......

I divide it up into 3 types of substrates:

#1   No flow    - Flourite/gravel/soil only......... osmosis
#2   Low flow  -Heating cables/pads etc.............movement from temp
variations
#3   High flow  -RFUG's/UG's .....................................active
pumping of water

I have all three types but am just getting around to the pads(remember I'm
lazy<g>)

There are considerations to take into account for each type but it does
depend on many factors:
$, time, ability to build things, laziness, complexity of set up, amount of
things going in the tank, etc.................
Simple is good IMO.
Regards,
Tom Barr