Re: Ground Cover

> From: busko at stsci_edu (Ivo Busko)
> Subject: Re: Ground Cover

> I had success with baby's tears (micranthemum micranthemoides). It did
> well ... The only problem with this plant as a ground cover is that it
> tends to grow upwards as well as creeping on the bottom. So you need to
> prune it periodically if you want to keep a "thin" carpet look.

Just cutting the tops off isn't enough. This encourages multiple shoots
from the same plant and you end up with a thick mass of foliage where not
enough light gets to the bottom and the leaves turn brown. In addition
to pruning, I also thin the bed by pulling out plants where it looks too
thick. Those extra plants are either replanted in other tanks or given
away to friends. (My setup is 30w/gallon, no CO2, dosed with ferrovit.)

cheers,
	shireen

Shireen Gonzaga, Freelance Science Writer, Baltimore, MD.
Telephone: 410-338-4412   E-mail: shireen at clark_net