Re: Substrate Heating

>Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 06:56:25 -0400
>From: Adam Weingarten <javablue at concentric_net>
>
>I'm about to set up a new 72 gallon tank and I was considering if it would
>make sense to heat the substrate in some way.  I don't like the idea of
>substrate heating cables because having live wires in my tank just doesn't
>seem like the safest thing in the world. Ihave read up on the udea of using
>a ugf with a heater in the uplift tubes to destibute the heat. I was
>confused about this alternative because I failed to see why the heat goes
>down into the subtrate instead of merely going out up the tube. Are there
>any other ways of heating the subtrate that are generally accepted?

Another alternative to the Dupla cables for substrate heating is the Therma-float
system.  This is just rehashing stuff already posted to this list, I think, but these
are just heating cables that use the heat from your standard aquarium heater and do
not have their own electric cables.  This would help limit the places in the chain of
electricity into your aquarium that could go bad.  I am not sure how efficient this
heating system would be, as alot of the heat from the heater is lost to the water.
But then again, most people do need to heat their aquariums at some point in the
year, so how bad is that?

Web site with info and buying information:
http://www.azgardens.com/newsubst.htm

Jennifer Glover
Waldorf, MD, USA