Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1147

> From: "Bev" <bevgreen at cygnus_uwa.edu.au>
> Subject: Starting again (sort of)

> However when I first set the tank up I bought many boring common plants and
> planted them with my then extremely limited knowledge of how they grew.
<snip>
> My plan is to simply up root all the plants and sort them out and then re
> plant them as desired.
<snip>
> has anyone attemted this ? what are the results?
> Algae blooms? what could I expect!?!?!?!?!?

I just did this last night in my 29g.  I had a few nice swords hidden
in the back behind a bunch of tall "background" plants.  The tank has
been running since January 1, with water changes every week or two,
and light gravel vaccuuming every two weeks.  I moved all the plants
to a 10 gallon tank I had (they are cheap, $10, and very handy
to have around).  I filled the 10 gal with fresh water, and 5 gal
from the main tank.  I removed the plants in sections, vaccuuming
after each quarter of the tank.  After each section, I removed 2 gal.
of water (to try to get some of the floating debris) and added 2 gal
of clean water.  After all the plants were out, I vaccuumed the gravel
again, very deeply, and re-added clean water.   Then I moved gravel
around to make it slope down from back to front.   I re-planted in a
organized arrangement, and did one more pass with the gravel vac.
Then I re-filled the tank.  There was still quite a bit of floating
junk, so I stuck a spare corner filter into the tank to help out the
power filter.   By the morning, the water was clear, and the
ammonia measured zero.   pH is still a little higher than normal
at 7.2.  (the tank has DIY Co2, and the pH was at 6.8.  My tap water
is ph 7.4.)

Everyone looks happy, except for the raphael cat who's favorite hiding
spot was disturbed in the process.

--
Chuck Gadd
Director of Software Development, Cyber FX Communications