Re: Tank selection (and a couple replys)

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

Tom Barr wrote:

> What defines a master though? Would Karen or
> Neil or George fall into this class?

I'm not sure there are recognized aquascaping masters now; we get to pick
them. It's a unique condition.  I've long regarded Neil, Karen and George
as master gardeners. I don't know if their gardening skills extends to
artistry as well.

Robert H. wrote:

> You dont need to be a Master to share ideas!

Amen, Robert

> ------------------------------

And on to other things.

Last winter I asked for ideas for decorating an area for display of a
large planted tank.  The area is built and decorated and hopefully next
fall I'll be able to build the cabinetry and set up the tanks.  In the
mean time it's occupied by a cedar chest, a ficus and a very happy
calladium.

I've been looking at tanks, with an eye mostly to finding a tank that
would give me the best opportunities for a new layout.  Right now my
largest tank is a 55 and I find that to be a terrible shape for
aquascaping.  Like Erik Olson's 40 gallon (I think it was) that he's
written about, the tank provides little depth-of-field (distance front to
back) and most of what I can do with the tank looks pretty flat.  Like a
movie screen.

Amano seems to use a lot of tanks with a nearly square end section where
the depth of field is about the same as the water depth.  I can see the
point to that, but I seem to have even more flexibility in a tank that has
more depth of field than height.  Unfortunately, that's a 20 gallon long,
and it's really too shallow for many plants.

I'm worried that if I go to a 6 foot long tank the length may squelchI the
advantage of having a nice depth of field.  My alternative would be to use
something like a 4-foot long, 90 gallon tank - or maybe 2 :).  Does anyone
want to sway my opinion?  How is lighting best arranged in a 6 foot long
tank?

My dream aquascape for the tank - at the moment, anyway - is centered
around a large bit of driftwood and rocks. The substrate would be banked
up on one side of the center piece (hence my recent question about
terracing and maintaining relief in the substrate) and hollowed out on the
other.  The image would be of a snag in a river stranded at low water in a
quiet off-channel pool.  The built-up part of the substrate would be
covered with low-growing plants and the hollowed-out area on the opposite
side would be a shadowy retreat for fish.  The back and sides of the tank
are still a bit misty.  I haven't figured them out yet.

Comments?  Ideas?

Roger Miller