Re: heat and dying fish

> Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 16:04:48 -0400
> From: Kelly <apples at midohio_net>
> Subject: heat and dying fish
>
> Not really a plant question, but one concerning those small creatures
> that swim around in the plants ;) I have a 120g tank, mainly filled
> w/assorted tetras. It is summer here w/a vegenence, but I do not always
> put the air on as we get a good cross breeze and its ok for the
> humans---however, my tank reads very high 80's--usually kept no higher
> than 80.  In the last 2 weeks, I have lost 3 of my 4 clown loaches and 2
> corys--no other type of fish.  Are these types affected by the heat
> moreso than the tetra-types? or do I have something else going on?  I
> have put in frozen water bottles, but in a tank that size, its a drop in
> the bucket.

Hi Kelly.  I've had that problem too.  A week or so ago I lost my large
green Cory (abt. 2" long).  The temperature was at 90 that evening when
I noticed.  So I've had to keep the air turned down since; keeping the house
at 78 keeps the tank at 86 (it's a warmer corner of the house and I
think the fluorescents are contributing too).  The two swordtails and
cory paleatus survived.  Petsmart honored their fish warranty so I got
another c. paleatus and two mollies, which the guy there said were not
very sensitive to temperature.  Now, I have 2 fry, and they are too small
to identify at this point, but I guess at least 2 of my fish are liking
the 86 degrees pretty well.

--
  _______                      KB7PWD @ KC7Y.AZ.US.NOAM   ecloud at bigfoot_com
 (_  | |_)   Shawn T. Rutledge    on the web: http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud