Aquascaping competitions

James Purchase wrote :

>There has been a flurry of talk recently on the state of aquascaping in
>North America vs Europe and Japan. It seems that the Dutch in particular,
>along with the Germans, have a long history of organized competitions for
>the best looking aquascape.

No (!!!) ONLY THE DUTCH (and maybe the Belgian) ORGANISE NATIONAL COMPETITION!
I am not at all racist but the German are not famous for their planted aquarium.

>One reason (perhaps) that this has never
>happened in North America is I suppose the sheer physical size of the three
>countries which occupy the continent. A European can go for a Sunday drive
>and pass through multiple national borders - I could drive for days without
>ever leaving the province of Ontario.

>There IS a way that the situation could be improved however, and one which
>would make the "distance" factor immaterial. The Aquatic Gardeners
>Association has a website and it would be quite simple to announce a
>competition and request submissions of photographs of people's favourite
>aquascapes. The photos could be judged by a panel of people from the AGA and
>the winning submissions could be posted on the AGA website and published in
>the Journal.

How can you judge an aquarium with pictures?
In Holland, a judge checks everything (filter, light, water quality...). Sometimes, he asks the
permission to put his hand in the tank to check the roots. Cheating is very easy and difficult to
see. So with a picture...
I think it is a good idea but not really realistic. In one day I can make you an amazing aquarium. We
"Kleenex-concept" from Amano and we speak about a picture contest

Stéphane