Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1130

Jennifer Glover writes:

> Well, just to add my two cents about Java Moss, I think it is a vile weed.
>  Once in a tank, don't expect to ever be rid of it.  Just one little piece
>  missed and it will regrow into a huge ball again.  I thought it was the
>  coolest thing, until I tried to get rid of it.  My tanks have some serious
>  current (I like to see plants swaying) and stands of java moss would
>  stretch from where they were supposed to stay and then reattach elsewhere.
>  Then these strands would grow.  Soon the entire tank looks like a bad
>  horror movie.

Yep. You gotta keep it trimmed.

>  Now, I can't definativly say that my green bane isn't algae,
>  but it sure looks like Java Moss to me.

And sounds like it to me.

>  It is easy enough to remove, but
>  impossible to remove forever.  It just keeps coming back.

That's what herbivores are for.  Of course, that approach can't be used in a
tank with more valuable plants.  You have to pull the other stuff out, then
turn your African Cichlids or silver dollars loose.

>  Just to answer
>  the original question, it does attach to driftwood.  Just ball it up or
>  stretch it over the wood and wrap some fishing line around it.  The fishing
>  line will hold it down, until it attaches.   After it is attached, just cut
>  the fishing line.  You could use some linen thread or something that will
>  rot, if you don't want to bother cutting the thread later.

Jen is correct in that it can get out of hand, but in the right
circumstances, like breeeding fish, it is very helpful.

Bob DIxon
Who used to drive from Lexington Park all the way to Waldorf just for a
Wendy's burger.