Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1129

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Jeff Valine wrote:

> Hi all.  I found what I hope is some E. tenellus (it was not labeled) at an
> LFS, but I'm somewhat confused by the pictures I have seen compared to what
> I bought.  What I bought looks exactly like the picture of E. tenellus on
> the Florida Aquatics poster: http://www.azgardens.com/images/1root8.jpg
> Including a couple of runners sticking in the air, and the little "dingle
> balls" on the runners.  However, both my Baensch vol 1, and Tropica
> (http://www.tropica.dk/images/plants/6760.jpg) show E. tenellus without the
> "dingle balls", and with the runners along the ground similiar to L.
> brasiliensis.  So what do you think I bought?

I think the photo at azgardens.com is an emersed-grown form.  The "dingle
balls" may be seed heads.  In submersed forms the runners stay close to
the substrate surface.

I don't have Baensch #1, but the painting at Tropica (I like Tropica's
plant drawings) is more like I think E. tenellus usually looks in
submersed culture.

Roger Miller