Re: Brown Algae out of control!

>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:45:45 -0600
>From: "Shannon Wheeler" <swheeler at tnc_ab.ca>
>Subject: Re: Brown Algae out of control!
>
>You're suggesting he add 13 or more additional fish to a 20g tank that
>already has 25+ ?
>Isn't it recommended that you have 10g / oto? I thought you meant to add
>these as a temporary measure but then you tell him to manually clean as much
>algae as he can first so this is a maintenance recommendation?
>
>Shannon

Yes, I do suggest that.  Not all fish are equal.  His 25 fish are all of
the very small types, as I remember.  Rules like 1" of fish per gallon
really aren't very good either.  A typical 4" fish produces much more waste
than four 1" fish. And these algae eaters are also small and not constantly
active.  Some of them hardly move at all.  I doubt that their metabolic
rate would produce much waste.

As far as the ratio of 10g/oto, I think it pretty much depends on your
setup.  If you setup is such that you have lots of algae, and his seems to
be, then he'd need much more than 1 oto per 10g.  The relationship probably
isn't linear either.  I have 3 otos in my 1 gallon (exposed to direct
sunlight), and they seem to be just right in keeping the algae under control.

BTW, folks.  I'm not killing the otos in my 1 gallon plant tank
anymore.  They are very happy now and have been enjoying themselves for a
while.  The problem turned out to be the Betta splenden.  He harrassed the
other otos, kept them from doing their job, and probably stressed them to
death.  Removing him and everyone else was happy and the tank became much
cleaner, the plants much healthier!

Hoa

Hoa G. Nguyen
Freshwater Planted Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/