Re: CO2 gone quickly

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 21:27:51 -0400
From: "Bill Giorgianni/Lynn Goldsmith" <bgandlg at capital_net>
Subject: Re: CO2 gone quickly

> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:33:09 -0400
> From: Johan Henckens <johan at mmdg_org>
> Subject: Re: CO2 gone quickly
>

> > Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:17:38 -0700
> > From: Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>
> > Subject: Re: CO2 gone quickly
> >
> > WOW!
> >
> > All the experts here advising the use of Teflon water-pipe tape make me
> > nervous about saying this:
> >
> > Don't do it!

snip...

> I don't know about the general availability of the yellow tape but I
> know Home Depot carries it.
>
> Johan
> johan at mmdg_org
>
> I concur with Johan. The yellow tef tape is made specifically to meet the
> demands of natural gas and should be well suited to your task. It's also
> available at our True Value Stores here in upstate N.Y.

                                     Bill G
                         assistant manager Noble True Value

I'm happy to have everyone agree that pipe compound is superior, but do note
that natural gas is a *very* low pressure system, usually by law. The
disasters I mentioned happened at 100 psi or above. The only problem with
using any kind of teflon tape in the low-pressure (post regulator) side of
your system probably is a permanently clogged needle valve. If you are
careful in applying it, as Johan said, it *is* pretty safe.

The same goes for pipe compound. It is usually petroleum-based, and could
give a nasty surface film in your tank if used carelessly.

Maybe that would cut some surface CO2 loss? :^)

The bottom line is that use of teflon tape in high-pressure gas line
fittings should not be recommended, just like using solder on 120Vac
electrical fittings. You may get away with it for years, but you would never
get Underwriters Lab to approve it. It really isn't safe.

Wright

--

      To all gun-control advocates: Please just place a sign
      on your front lawn that reads: "This home is gun-free."