Re: CO2 gone quickly

In a message dated 6/25/99 3:50:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

>  Date: 25 Jun 99 12:15:48 HKT
>  From: Patrick Ng <nghakkong at netscape_net>
>  Subject: CO2 gone quickly
>
>  Dear all,
>
>  I'm using a 1500g CO2 gas tank together with a Dupla "Armatur Delta" CO2
>  regulator. I set the bubbling rate at 1 bubble/sec and the gas tank this
> size
>  should last for at least half an year (from my personal experience).
However,

>  my CO2 used up within a month or so. My question is what possibly went
wrong
>  with my CO2 system. I have a commercial CO2 reactor, check valve and
plastic
>  tubing connected to the system. Is gas leakage a possible cause of the
> problem
>  and how do I find out where the leakage is?
>
>  Anyone can shed some light on it?
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  Patrick Ng

Patrick;

First make sure you have the nylon/fibre washer installed between the
regulator and tank. The easiest way to check for leaks is with a soap
solution. Use a diluted solution of dishwashing soap in a spray bottle. Spray
all valves, regulators, connections and tubing and look for bubbles. The
compressed gas escaping to the atmosphere will cause the soap solution to
bubble. Some plastic tubing is incompatible with CO2. The gas will leech out
of small permeable holes in the tubing. You may want to consider silicon
tubing if this is your problem.

Tom Bates
Allentown, PA