Re: clown loaches eating MTSs

> Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 10:29:44 -0400
> From: "alex pastor" <alexp at idirect_com>
> Subject: Re: clown loaches eating MTSs
>
> I wish mine would+ACE-  Maybe they need new dentures, or something. :)
>
> G. Kadar

Sounds likely to me... I'd never seen snails in my community tank (even
though I'd knowingly imported them on a few plants), and figured it was
because of my fascination with bottom-dwellers in general, and with the
oldest fish in the tank in particular, a yo-yo loach.

A few months ago, though, I had a sudden snail explosion... with no known
changes in water chemistry or maintenance.  It persisted for weeks, and the
solution was a few brand-new, less than an inch long botia striata, who now
peacefully coexist with their aged cousin.

Have others observed that older loaches seem to lose their taste for snails?

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, Maryland, USA