Only floating leaves on my Water Lilly

Hi to everyone,

I have just joined this list and I hope to learn a lot from all of you
and maybe share my experiences with you as well.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my Water Lilly plants
(Nymphaea Lotus or something like that in Latin). The problem is that
the plant is large and grows like crazy, but it only grows  the floating
leaves... none of those beautiful underwater ones. This wouldn't be a
problem, but the stems get very long, close to a meter, they grow until
the reach the filter output where I assume the moving water slowly
destroys the leaves...

What I'm trying to do is to get it to grow the underwater leaves. I was
told to cut all the floating leaves off, leaving just the cut of stems.
Will that work?

Thank you,

Luke