Riccia mats

> Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:35:20 +0100
> From: "Richard Rajski" <Richard at rajski_freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Growing Riccia Mats
>
> I'm keen to find out how Tropica get their Riccia to grow into such dense
> mats. These are great for making Riccia stones.
> Whenever I leave my Riccia trimmings to grow on the surface in my tank they
> do eventually 'mat' together but not very densely. If I use this to make
> Riccia stones the results are never as good. Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Richard Rajski UK

I have to guess you have too much surface agitation.  In my 38 I have two tetra brilliant sponge
filters running with the outputs facing against the glass on either end of the tank.  These are also
behind floating pieces of driftwood to further block the flow.  The Riccia on the ends is not as dense
as that in the middle.
I've actually gotten to the point where I wish I hadn't added it to this particular tank.  It would be
much better in a "fish only" style tank rather than one I want fully planted.
It grows so thick as to block out most all the light. So thick in fact that even Najas flexilis dies
back under 2.5W/ gallon if I don't prune it frequently enough.

--
Later,
Paul E. Turley

"Never before in the history of man have so many known so little about so much."   Carl Sagan