RE: Fast growing AF plants

Thomas Barr said....

>What I'd like to see more of is plants from Lake Malawi and Tanganyika. They
>are there but they only ship out the fish................ not the plants!
>The general notion is that all lake Cichlids are only Rock dwellers and eat
>plants. This is plain rubbish. Many areas do have plants and there are many
>pictures and collector accounts to prove it. Guess I might take an African
>trip to do some collecting! In my dreams....................

I recall the shores of Lake Malawi as being sandy and/or rocky with
areas of reed beds. My impression of Lake Tanganyika was that it was
more rocky. Both lakes are huge and open. Plants would have a rough
time of it unless they were somehow protected from wind and wave.
There are bound to be plants at the estuaries of the rivers that feed
into the lakes. A collecting trip would be pretty easy to effect.
Although I've swum in both lakes, crocodiles make me very nervous.

--
Dave Whittaker
Gloucester, Ontario