Re:Hydra Dammit-What now?-a quick poll

In a message dated 6/10/99 6:41:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

> So, how many of you have Hydra in your planted tanks?
>  How many of you take active steps to prevent it?
>  How many of you would tear a tank down to eliminate it? I'm already
>  planning this, I just wanted to poll everyone for feedback.

I have a 2 gallon killifish tank that had a severe hydra infestation last
year.  They were everywhere- even hanging upside down from the duckweed.  I
tried heating the water to whatever the recommended hydra killing temperature
is (after removing the fish and about 25 fry that were hiding all over the
place), and although they dissapeared for a while, there were apparently a
few survivors- after about a month, the tank was infested again.  I then read
somewhere (the KRIB, I think) that those small pond snails that you sometimes
get on plants eat hydra, and decided to give that a try.  Sure enough, the
hydra dissapeared.  Of course, this method may result in your tank becoming
infested with snails, but they are much easier to get rid of than hydra.

my .02!
K. Goedert