Where does the ammonia go?

Hi,

I don't recall if these questions have been asked before, but where does
the ammonia in chloramine go after it's locked up by Amquel and other
dechlorinators that's made to handle chloramine?  Is it still available to
the plants, although in a form that is not toxic to fish?  Does it
eventually degrade back to toxic ammonia (assuming high pH, no plants and
no biological filter)?

On a related question, my Aqua. Pharm.'s Dry-Tab ammonia test kit detected
about 0.5 ppm of ammonia in my tap water, both before and after Mardel's
MarChlor (sodium thiosulfate) is used.  My tap water has chloramine.  Is it
correct to assume then that the test kit is able to detect the ammonia
that's bound up in the chloramine?

Thanks,
Hoa