substrate heaters with burrowers

I have horse-faced loaches. Would these be a problem with substrate heating
cables? I'm thinking that if there's only .5 to 1.5cm free space between the
cable and the bottom glass these fish might get stuck or burnt. Anybody know
how deep they burrow?

Will heating cables even work in a 10cm sand substrate or is it more for
gravel where water can more freely move around? I actually have the loaches
and trumpet snails in there keep the substrate stirred up somewhat which I
think helps to bring nutrients to the roots.

Shannon