Please help--NEONS dropping like flies!

Recently (5 days ago), I bought about 70 "jumbo" neons tetras form PetsMart.
Just today, I came home to a tank that has about 45 or so left. My brother
says that they have been dying one after another all day long. Within the
last few hours, I've remove about 5 of them. I dunno the pH--I dont have a
test kit--I never have had to test before. That is, I can tell pretty much
by how my fishes look whether they are stressed, and besides, I haven't had
stressed fish in the last four years or so, let alone something dying on me.
Ive have never had neons before, however.

Parameters:

60 gallons
82-85 F
aquaclear 200
2 ebo jaager 200 watt heater
moderately planted (about half the tank)

fishes:

neons < 50 (going down)
3 discus
2 false SAE
6 shrimps

I'm planning on buying some amquel tomorrow and doubling the dosage. I've
cut the feedings for the now. I cannot do a water change--water here is very
hard and alkaline; I'd probably do more damage if I change the water now and
I cannot afford to buy water. (also, I'd have to change water slowly to
minimize shock and I don't have the time right now. I have finals next week)

While the neons have a 30 days on them, I still am very bothered by their
deaths. I will be taking the dead ones back to get them replaced. Any advice
is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. Any ideas, any hypothesis, any
theories, anything.

Smiles (faint smile),
Toan