Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1068

Hello Tom,

You just had to pick a question that does NOT have a clear cut answer!
:-))

The *saturation* point is when no more of a substance dissolves, or
rather when the substance in solution is in an equilibrium with the
solid phase, out of solution.

The *solubility* of calcium carbonate [CaCO3] in *pure* water is only
about 17 ppm (i.e. about 1 "German degree"). It is a well known fact,
that calcium BIcarbonate [Ca(HCO3)2] is much more soluble in water than
calcium carbonate. Calcium bicarbonate is unstable, exists only in
solution, one can not isolate it & put in a bottle. The way one prepares
it, is to add CO2 to the water which is in contact with excess solid
CaCO3. The CO2 (actually carbonic acid, H2CO3) reacts with the calcium
carbonate in solution, forming the bicarbonate, and shifts the
equilibrium, allowing more solid calcium carbonate to dissolve... and so
on.

If enough CO2 is present, a lot of CaCO3 can dissolve. My well water has
430 ppm CaCO3 hardness. I have heard of places with REALLY hard water
("liquid rock") with over 1,000 ppm CaCO3. So, depending upon available
CO2, the calcium concentration will vary.

Most solid-liquid reactions are slow. In an aquarium with fish one does
not want to change the water parameters rapidly -- it puts stress on
fish, might even kill them. So, a slow coming to equilibrium, in my
book, is an advantage: Just place some marble chips (in a sock) in your
filter, and forget about it for several days. Take out the sock when you
reach the target hardness -- that's all there is to it!

Adding calcium as CaCO3, vs. CaCl2 or Ca(NO3)2 has the further advantage
that you are also increasing the alkalinity (KH) and *buffering
capacity* -- the ability of the system to resist changes in pH.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Best,

George