Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1052

 >Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 16:49:21 -0400 (EDT)
 >From: Paul Secinaro <pauls at shore_net>
 >Subject: Lights and tank overheating
 >
 >I have a 20 gallon high tank, which is currently lit with a Perfecto 24"
 >SHO fixture sitting on a glass canopy.  Now that the weather has been
 >getting warmer, I've been noticing that the heat generated by this
 >convection-cooled fixture is causing my tank temperature to rise about 3-4
 >degrees over the heater setting in the late afternoon (and the weather
 >hasn't even started to get hot out yet).  So it will jump from 78F to
 >around 82F.  Clearly, 4 months of this is going to be bad for my fish!

I've noticed that my 30" SHO fixture puts out quite a bit of heat too. In
my case, the temperature variation is about 2 degrees from morning to
evening, which doesn't seem to bother my fish. However, if the sun starts
heating up the tank too, I could have a problem with large temperature swings.

If this happens, I plan to put a fan or two over the SHO light, or possibly
lower the water level so the light is further away from the tank.

--
michael moncur   mgm at starlingtech_com   http://www.starlingtech.com/
"There it was, hidden in alphabetical order."           -- Rita Holt