Re: Weekly green film normal?

Michael Grace noted:

>      tried a couple things to no avail.  One week after water changes an
>      annoying film of green algae accumulates on the glass.  I can wait no
>      longer than two weeks before I must scrub it off due to reduced
>      visibility.

Michael,

You don't mention how often you do water changes...

I have the same problem *unless* I do a water change every week or two.  I
suspect the reason, in my own case, is that the plants use up certain
nutrients provided in the tap water, which allows the algae to take
advantage of other nutrients.

So, in my case, scraping algae is a sort of penance for neglecting the tank
(if you want to call going two to three weeks without a water change
'neglect').

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, Maryland