Re: Ballast Cooling Problems

>From: "lewis weil" <leweil at hotmail_com>
>Subject: Ballast Cooling Problems
>
>I have a highly planted tank which is lit by 3 48" fluorescent bulbs. The
>main lighting for the tank is a 48" double fluorescent strip with internal
>ballasts. The heat from the ballasts reduces the bulb life to about a month,
>the plastic above the ballasts gets soft, and the extra heat causes the
>heater to malfunction. So I came up with a solution, which is but cheap and
>effective. I thoughts others might benefit from my experience, so I created
>a webpage with my design. The address is:
>http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/5580/. If you have any problems,
>please don't hesetate to email me.

It's a nice web page, but I just can't help wondering:  with the added cost
of the fans and power supply, plus additional electricity, plus all the
work to put them in, wouldn't it be better just to replace your ballasts
with cool-running, energy-efficient electronic ballasts?  (I'm assuming
your current ballast are tar-ballast, since they run so hot.)

Hoa

Hoa G. Nguyen
Freshwater Planted Aquarium:  http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/