Plants rotting

Hey!, As my aquarium becomes established, the plants have begun to take
               over the tank.  I have noticed that the plants have begun to
rot in places.
               I have elodea (also called anarcharis) and giant hygro.  The
plants are
               growing and have greatly accelerated from the CO2 injection.
It is a fresh
               water tank with a whisper power filter, and layer of
soil/earth vermiculite
               mixture with sand as the top layer.  There are two blubs
lighting the ten
               gallon tank (cool whites).  The rotting is not a light brown,
but a dark
               brownish black.  The temperature is around 73-75 with one
betta fish.
               Thanks for the help.  It is just probably a iron deficiency,
but I want to
               make sure before I start adding chemicals.

danielwiznia at hotmail_com