Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1042

Hello Hoa,

Your pH swing theory is plausible, but because Dyniar found his dead
fish in the morning, the plants could not have been producing oxygen
without lights. Thus the CO2 "poisoning" hypothesis can not be rejected
offhand.

I do not know whether CO2 has the same physiological effect on fish as
on mammals, but at higher concentrations it acts in mammals as a
narcotic.

While CO2 will not displace O2 in water, at a certain concentration it
will "stick" to haemoglobin and prevent oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange
in the gills.

Best,

George