Lighting for deep live plant tanks

In a message dated 5/20/99 1:02:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

<<
 I am planning a new 48"x18"24"(deep) tank, and was planning to use 3 42"
 strip lights.  I have heard that these will not penetrate enough for good
 plant growth.  Can anyone confirm this, and what is the maximum depth, that
 strip lights are effective to, for good plant growth.  If I dont use strip
 lights, what would you suggest, considering that the aquarium has a hood. >>

Hugh, you might well want to look into Metal Halides or at least Power
Compact Flourescents... depending on the species mix and desired rate of
growth...
Bob Fenner