Re: Flowering Vallisneria Americana

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Colin Anderson wrote:

> I'm interested in knowing if anyone out there has ever seen the flowers of
> Val. Americana, better yet, information on how they got it to flower.

The one time I've gotten V. spiralis to flower was when I transplanted a
lot of it en masse from its happy CO2-injected high-light planted home
into a harsh Lake Tanganyika tank (pH 8+, very hard).  I got tons of
flower stalks.  I think they did the plant equivalent of panicking and
were trying to reproduce before the harsh environment killed them.

OK, it's not V. americana, but maybe the story'll help. :)

   - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com