Aquarium Filtration

I would like to know if anyone would comment on the following ideas:

Canister filters are designed to absorb exessive nutrients that are harmful
to fishes and they also improve the water clarity of the aquarium.  In a
planted tank, most is not all harmful chemicals like Nitrates and Ammonia
that are secreted by the fishes are absorbed by the plants as their source
of energy.  With this in mind is it okey to use a powerhead filter e.g.
TetraTech and EHEIM line of internal filters as against Canister External
Filters, e.g. EHEIM External Canister Filter.

Please give any view points so that I could be well educated in this subject.

Edison C. Yap
Philippines