Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1014

> From: TUSKEGEE at aol_com
> Subject: sprouting plants
>
> I recently bought home my first live plant, an Egeria densa, sometimes known
> as Elodea or Anachris.  A couple of days ago I noticed sprouts growing not
> just from the bottom of the plant but near the middle as well.  Should I cut
> the plant slightly below where its sprouting and replant  it in another area
> of my tank or should I continue to let the sprouts grow?  Also, what in your
> opinion is the best fertilizer for my plant?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Melvina,

Anacharis is very easy to grow, and can look quite nice if you have
enough light.  It tends to get very long, and the bottom part
yellowing and losing leaves, so you probably should prune the top
and middle parts off and replant those, and throw away the bottom
part.  Any cutting, top, middle, or bottom, will regrow.  I don't think
this plant is picky about fertilizers, but I have had good luck with
Seachem Flourish overall.  If you have hard water and do not have
supplemental CO2, Anacharis has a tendency to develop unsightly
sand-like calcium deposits on the leaves though.

> From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg at wcf_com>
> Subject: SAEs in SF
>
> Lucky Ocean (2nd Ave and Balboa) 668-3676 has SAEs (nice shape, the real
> thing) for $15.50/6 fish.  Go get them before they are gone......

 Do you think they will ship by mail?

> From: CarlaThorn at aol_com
> Subject: Angelfish in planted tanks
>
> Hope nobody minds this slightly fishy question: should one avoid keeping
> angelfish in a heavily planted tank?

I have kept angelfish in my heavily planted tank for many years with
no problem.

Hoa
Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/