snails and clown loaches

The only problem with this solution is that you are then stuck with the
loaches, unless you trade them back to the lfs (which in this case, is a
sin).  They grow up to be pretty husky characters and need lots of room.
I've got five of them, and I love them.  But they do somewhat limit you in
what kinds of plants you can have in the tank.  They taste everything new I
put in and leave bite marks all over.  If they really like something, like
'mexican oakleaf', they will mow it down to the substrate level in no time
at all - whether you give the lettuce and zuchinni (courgettes) or not.

G. Kadar