How do you treat ich in a planted aquarium ?

Cyberpetwrote: <<<<: How do you treat ich in a planted aquarium  ?
I observe, a week after putting fishes in my new planted aquarium, that some
of them have a few spots of ich ?   what should i do ? will it disappear by
itself ? do i have to treat the aquarium ? how ?
your advice please ! thanks !>>>>>

The first advice is to quarantine every fish before introducing it
in a community tank. Ich frequently occurs shortly after purchase,
due to the stress of the transportation, aquarium change, etc.
Although medications to treat it exist, I have not found them in many
cases very effective.
You can try with formalin+malachite green, which if used exactly as
directed causes minimal damage to most plants. Risks for the plants
and the fish exist though.
Some plants and fishes take with no problem a temperature treatment,
which is actually extremely effective in eradicating the pathogen
permanently. Colder water inhabitants will not survive though.
You can see details on the two treatments mentioned above at:
http://world.std.com/~enjolras/symtreat.htm  , in the section at
the end dedicated to specific treatments.
Do you have a name, by the way? It is not too nice to respond
to anonymous messages. Good luck anyway

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno at roche_com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.