"breathable" bags

Bob Dixon wrote:
> If you pump pure O2 into a bag before shipping, the O2 will escape the bag
> anyway, because the bags we use for fish are selectively permeable to O2
and
> CO2.  This shopkeeper, while sincere and concerned enough to pass up a
sale,
> is not properly informed.  I have kept fish for up to a week in bags
without
> a problem at this time of year.  It only becomes a concern when
temperatures
> rise up past about 85F, as the O2 levels then begin to drop due to lower
> solubility.

While breathable bags are certainly available now, many fish stores do not
go through the added expense of using the bags that are sufficiently
permeable
to support fish life for extended periods of time.  I submit this response
not
to be argumentative, but to prevent an unknowing user from taking this
advice
and believing fish can be easily maintained for long durations without
either
using high oxygen content in the bag or changing the air every twentyfour
hours.
If you know that your store truely uses breathable bags, then the fish can
safely
be kept for extended periods without the use of supplemental O2.

Regards,
David Robinson
The original Discus Page
http://www.ee.pdx.edu/~davidr/