New tank - strange problem

Is it normal for most of the outer edges of older plant leaves to become
infested with hair algae in a newly planted tank while the new leaves appear
fine ?

Tank parameters: 55 UK Galls, PH 6.9, PO4 nil, GH 5, KH 4, NO3 5-10ppm,
substrate gravel & Duplarit G, compressed CO2, 125 watts MVP lighting.
Commercial fertilser ysed from same company, daily drops, monthly tablets
(main fertiliser). Incoming water is very soft & Calcium carbonate & sodium
bicarb is added to get my GH & KH readings roughly where I want them (I know
Calc.carb raises GH & KH).

Tank set up 1 month ago with decent quality plants, hair algae appears on
the older leaves of Vallis, Echinodorus, Java fern & Anubias.

I suspect that the commercial product I am using is not a good balance & not
providing enough of one element - probably Potassium. Has anyone come across
this ? Would you generally agree ?? Any solutions or would I be better to
wait a little longer ?

I would have thought that as my PO4 & NO3 levels are low, the hair algae
would not have got hold so quickly. I also stayed clear of `mixing different
regimes` - except for the Duplarit G in the gravel.

Andy Moore  -  andy at ascot_u-net.com

Treasurer/BBb Tuba Player Poulton-le-Fylde Brass Band
and Aquatic Plant/Discus collector

http://www.ascot.u-net.com/home/Band.htm