deficiency caused by too much light ?

In APD #972 I wrote:

>Nomaphila specie, bright green broad leaves. New leaves are good but the
>oldest get white around the edges, holes appear, and the leaf becomes
>transparent. Then they fall off. They now look like palmtrees...

After some pruning, I discovered (can you imagine what a jungle it is)
another specimen of this Nomaphila which had been growing under a big floating
Ceratopteris. The bottom leaves were missing but it looked so much better
than it's counterparts which are growing directly under a tube. Not one leaf
showing a deficiency, all bright green.  So could it be that the deficiency
was caused by too much light ?

Hugo Hoekstra