Re: Purple Waffle and Aluminum Plant

> Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:32:13 EDT
> From: BOLLING37 at aol_com
> Subject: Purple Waffle and Aluminum Plant
>
> Hello all,
>
>      My local Petsmart is now offering a plant called "Purple Waffle".
> The undersides of each leaf are purple.  The main stem of the plant is
> prickly,
> similar to Okra, tomatoes, etc, many terrestrial plants and vegetables.
> Does anyone know the scientific name of this plant?  Is it aquatic?
>      I have also noticed "Aluminum Plants" available from time to time.  The
> leaves
> of this plant have silvery patches of color near the center.  Does anyone have
> experience with either of these plants?

I first saw a Purple Waffle a few months ago in a tank.  I asked the guy
what it was, and since he knew me said, "You don't want that.  It's a
terrarium plant".  He had received it in his latest plant shipment,
apparently by mistake.  So, that plant will probably up and die along
with the Aluminum Plant since they are both not true aquatic plants.