Re: CO2 and agitation

> From: George Booth <booth at frii_com>
> Subject: Re: CO2 and agitation
>
> I would wager that this is far from the truth, at least regarding "tightly
> sealed covers". There are many people who enjoy open-top tanks, especially
> those of use who use MH lighting. Even folks that have glass covers over
> their tanks probably have a poor "seal" as far as diffusion is concerned.

	It won't take much of a hole to release the small amounts of CO2
that I inject.

> CO2 concentration in the air is already nominally 350 ppm, far above what
> our tanks have.

	The 350 ppm in air is 350 ppm by volume, which is the normal way
of expressing it with gases.  The concentrations in the tank are by weight.
If I recall correctly, the equilibrium concentration of CO2 in water in
contact with the atmosphere is something like 0.5 to 1 ppm, so if we
have 15 ppm in the water, that would require several thousand ppm in
the air for equilibrium.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada