Re: understanding laterite

Robert,
Your research of the souce of laterite agrees with my own research with
regard to souce and comosition, but I have U.S.G.S. surveys for lateritic
soils in my area (Salem, Oregon).  These soil deposits were formed at a time
when North America was in fact, a tropical regon (about 10,000 years ago I
think).  Unfortunatly for me, the lateritic soil in my area has a higher
aluminum content than Iron, I might give it a try anyhow though.  My brother
is a civil engineer and geologist and was able to dig up (sorry, I couldn't
pass up that pun) the surveys from resources in his office.

Rob Braibish