Re: CO2 diffusion

> From: Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>
> Subject: CO2 and agitation
>
> For the life of me, I can't figure out why agitating the surface could cause
> *any* significant loss of CO2 under those fairly normal circumstances. The CO2
> in the trapped air and the CO2 in solution will still be at equilibrium, and
> there is no place for much CO2 to get away.

	If it is tightly covered, agreed.

> Even in open-top tanks, the heavier CO2 concentrates on the surface and only
> slowly diffuses into the room. *If* you had an active fan blowing air across the
> surface, and *if* you did not have any cover, your evaporative losses and CO2
> depletion could be high. Otherwise, I'm having a problem understanding what the
> problem really is. ;-)

	I think you will find that gaseous diffusion is pretty quick.  You have
a big surface area (in an open tank) and a pretty low CO2 injection rate.  I
doubt that the CO2 concentration above the water is much above ambient.  I
have done some rough calculations that support this, using actual diffusion
coefficients.
	Any air current at all will sweep it away as well.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada