Re: Flagfish

Jeff writes:

> I just purchased a female flagfish to go along with my male.  He likes
>  her!  Anyway, I was wondering if they are internal fertilizers or not.
>  The male is going after the female like they're guppies.  He keeps
>  trying to get their vents together, but she just swims away.
>    When I fist put her in the tank, she hid pretty well, but now that
>  she's out, and he's on her all the time, she won't hide.  I assume that
>  if she really wants to get away from him, she will.  Any thoughts about
>  this?

They are killies, and as such, they are more "amorous" than most fish.  They
will do it all the time.  He's not trying to connect at the vents, but simply
positioning himself to fertilize her eggs as they are ejected.  Unlike other
killies though, I have heard the the male will keep the eggs in a nest and
guard the fry like a cichlid.

Bob Dixon