Light Timers

Hello all tankmates...

I am going to purchase new light hoods for my aquarium. I want to be
able to regulate the time that the lights are on via a timer. Can normal
push-button fluorescent light hoods be operated with a timer, or must I
"rig" them to accommodate one? I'm planning on using four Ultra Trilux
bulbs in four 24" hoods. I know you can buy timers that plug directly
into a wall socket, but once the push-button type hoods shut off, they
need to be manually "pushed" again to start, and not just resupplied
with current. The archives seem sketchy at best on this subject. Can
someone please guide me in this? I'd really appreciate the
help......Morgan Gerk