CaCO3 and CO2 reactor

Hey all-

Just had a thought (and yes, it did hurt...:-).  I want to increase my GH
so my snails will have things to make their shells from (the shells are
currently "dissolving").  I recently built the CO2 reactor from hell, and
was wondering if I can go to the drug store and buy the tablet form of
CaCO3, and put the tablet way down at the bottom of the reactor.  I'm
thinking that the increased acidity of the water before it leaves the
reactor will facilitate the dissolving of the tablets, and it would allow
a slow, gradual raising of GH and KH, which would help avoid and fish
shock.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Justin Collins