Re: CO2 myths

Paul,  I am so glad you wrote that post.  There had been a raging
controversy on a message board concerning the relationship
between CO2, KH and pH.  I don't think any of us really understood
it.  I know I contributed my share of confusion.

When I first read your post stating that KH does not interfere with
the availability of CO2, I spluttered and gasped--the usual reaction
when one's view of reality is challenged.  I think the hard part to
grasp (for me, anyway) is the exponential nature of pH changes.
I'm still struggling with the concept of pH decreasing by 1 unit for
each 10x increase in CO2, but I have the annoying feeling that you
are right.  Have to think on it some more.

So you say that KH has no influence on the availability of CO2.  In
other words, pH can be reduced by CO2 increase, or increased by
KH increase, but KH and CO2 do not influence one another
directly.  In other words, there is no buffering going on?  Can you
elaborate?  What happened to the buffering concept?  What am I
missing? (And thank you so much for allowing us to blame the
textbooks rather than ourselves!)

Cathy Hartland, living in the state of Confusion