Trace elements/Macro nutrients/Micro nutrients/Mobile nutrients.

I am a new born to the world of aquatic plants. I'm pretty confused about
trace elements and nutrients. I'm doing alot of research through books and
product labels but I'm having a hard time figuring out which compounds are
important to add to the tank and which ones are unneeded/excessive. Could
someone with a little experience post a list of the major trace elements and
nutrients that are important to a planted tank? Also what is the best way to
ensure I have adequate levels of said nutrients in my tank without having an
over abundance of them?

Charles
-Only a beginner so please be tolerant of 'stupid' questions :)