DIY co2 having no effect

Could anyone tell me why co2 injection in a 55-gallon tank would have
practically no effect on the ph or plant growth? I have 3 bottles going at
once--two 3.8 liter bottles and 1 half that size. All filled with the usual
combinations of water, sugar and yeast and bubbling like mad into bell-type
diffusers. (I've also tried airstones and feeding tubes into the intake of my
two-biowheel wet/dry system.) The only surface turbulence comes from the two
biowheels, but it's hardly a ripple. All tests look good (nitrate, ammonia,
and nitrite not detectable; only phosphate is high, but I just added a pillow
to bring that down). When I first tried injecting co2, my 7.5-80 ph came down
to 7, but bounced back up to 7.5 and has been there ever since. What gives?