Measuring TDS levels with ohm meter

A common ohm meter measures the resistance by sending a dc current through whatever is to be measured. In a solution with pos. and neg, ions, these become polarized (?) thus making the reading impossible. If you want to measure conductivity (= reciprok resistance) you have to use ac., which is impossible with a common ohmmeter.
Cheers
Ole